Today we continued with our rock study. I found a cool website that had lots of pictures and simple explanations on the different types of rocks. The kids loved it. After we reviewed the different Sedimentary Rocks, I had the kids go out side to break some rocks with a hammer to see how each of them were formed. COOL! Thanks Alice for the great idea! oh and for the rocks. She picked up a bag of rocks for us at the $ tree for $1.For Dinner tonight we are eating "Pebble Soup." When Rouses first opened up I bought 10 for $10 bags of beans and I mixed them up in a big container to make our own 10 bean soup. Well while I was stirring the pot a few minutes ago, a light bulb went off!!!! These beans look like pebbles! There you have it! "Pebble Soup" I would love to post a picture but my camera isn't charged. I'll work on it!!
We are all working now on our water color journal. It ROCKS too!!! I'm doing the writing so far in our journal, but the kids are the illustrators. We will bind it together so they can take turns reading it to each other.
I had the younger kids sort a few dark colored rocks and a few cream colored rocks out of our dish and put them in separate piles. I took a piece of paper and drew a tic-tac-toe board on it and there you have it, we played Rockin' Tic-tac-toe!
Tomorrow we will do "Rock and Roll" Art after Spelling and Grammar. We will place a sheet of construction paper into a canister. Next I will add different colors of washable paints into an egg carton, where they will dip a rock into one color of paint and then place it into the canister. They will then place the lid onto the canister to seal it and shake it up and roll it around. Voila, there you have it. Rock and roll art. To add more beauty they can then add different colors. This is an idea I got from Discovery Toy's handy helper activity cards.
Because Dylan is older he is reading a collage of Science books and answering questions that the rest of us have about Rocks and the Earth. He loves science so this is right up his alley.
No comments:
Post a Comment